Puppy Chow has been around for decades, but its origins remain a bit of a mystery. Some say it originated in the United States in the early 20th century, while others say it dates back to the early 1900s in Europe.
No matter where it comes from, Puppy Chow is an all-time favorite dessert. This classic treat is made with melted chocolate and coated in crunchy cereal. It’s easy to make, tasty, and can be enjoyed by both kids and adults alike.
If you’re looking to make your own Puppy Chow at home, here’s a simple recipe:
- 4 cups of crunchy cereal (like Rice Chex, Corn Chex, or Wheat Chex)
- 1/2 cup of peanut butter
- 1/2 cup of butter
- 1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup of powdered sugar
Kitchen Equipment Needed:
- Large bowl
- Medium saucepan
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- 15-20 minutes
- In a large bowl, combine the cereal and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the peanut butter and butter over low heat.
- Once melted, add the chocolate chips and stir until melted.
- Pour the chocolate mixture over the cereal and mix until all of the cereal is evenly coated.
- Once the cereal is evenly coated, spread the cereal onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Once cooled, transfer to a large bowl and sift the powdered sugar over the cereal. Toss until all of the cereal is evenly coated.
- Serve your Puppy Chow right away or store in an airtight container for up to a week.
- Rainbow sprinkles
- Mini marshmallows
- Chopped nuts
- Crushed pretzels
- Coconut flakes
Optional Flavor Enhancers:
For an extra kick, add some spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, or ginger. These spices will give your Puppy Chow an extra special flavor. Enjoy!
How about another sweet treat to bring your kids joy? Give this moist banana bread recipe a go.