Caprese Salad is a traditional Italian dish that dates back to the 19th century. It was first created in a small town in Southern Italy called Capri. The original dish was made with simple ingredients such as tomatoes, mozzarella, basil and extra virgin olive oil. It was meant to be a simple yet flavorful dish that could be enjoyed by everyone.
Today, Caprese Salad is still a popular dish and can be found on menus all over the world. This simple yet delicious dish is the perfect way to bring flavor to any gathering. Here’s how to make an amazing Caprese Salad for your next get-together.
Key Caprese Salad Ingredients:
- 2 large tomatoes, cut into 1/2 inch wedges
- 1 pound of fresh mozzarella, sliced into 1/2 inch slices. You can also you use the small mozz balls
- 1/4 cup of fresh basil leaves, whole or thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 1/8 cup of balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
Kitchen Equipment Needed:
- Cutting board
- Salad bowl
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Place the tomatoes and mozzarella slices in a salad bowl.
- Drizzle the extra virgin olive oil over the tomatoes and mozzarella.
- Sprinkle the sea salt and freshly ground black pepper over the salad.
- Gently toss the salad until the tomatoes and mozzarella are evenly coated with the olive oil.
- Add the sliced basil leaves and gently toss again.
- Finally, drizzle balsamic vinegar over the top
- Serve immediately.
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Toasted pine nuts
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Optional Way to Add Spice:
- Sprinkle red pepper flakes over the salad before serving for an added kick of heat.
Making Caprese Salad is easy and quick and will be sure to impress your guests. Enjoy!
Need a bevvy pairing? Find a great cocktail recipe to serve to your guests.