Chili is a classic dish that has been around for centuries, originating in the southwestern United States. It is a combination of meat, beans, and spices, and can be enjoyed in many different forms, from big pots of slow-cooked chili to quick and easy stovetop chili. No matter the variety, chili is a classic comfort food that is loved by many.
If you’re looking to make a delicious chili at home, here’s a great recipe to get you started. This classic chili recipe has all the classic ingredients, plus a few extra spices to give it a bit of kick.
Main Turkey Ingredients:
-1 lb ground beef
-1 small onion, diced
-1 red bell pepper, diced
-2 cloves garlic, minced
-1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
-1 (14.5 oz) can tomato sauce
-1 (15 oz) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
-1 tablespoon chili powder
-1 teaspoon ground cumin
-1 teaspoon dried oregano
-1 teaspoon paprika
-Salt and pepper, to taste
-Sturdy spoon or spatula
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add the ground beef or turkey and cook until no longer pink.
- Add the onion, bell pepper, and garlic and cook until the vegetables are softened.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, and beans. Stir until everything is combined.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, oregano, and paprika. Stir to combine.
- Bring the chili to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve your chili with your favorite garnishes, such as shredded cheese, sour cream, diced avocado, and chopped cilantro.
For an extra spicy kick, add some diced jalapeños to the chili.
If you’re looking to switch it up, try making your chili with ground turkey instead of ground beef. This gives the chili a lighter flavor, but still has all the classic chili ingredients.
No matter how you make it, this classic chili recipe is sure to be a crowd pleaser. Enjoy!
Find a great bevvy to go with your bowl of chili!