Pumpkin pie has been a Thanksgiving tradition for centuries, with its origin dating as far back as the 16th century. The first pumpkin pies were quite different from the ones we know today; they were more like a bread pudding made from boiled pumpkin, spices, and honey and baked in a pastry shell. As the years passed, different recipes for pumpkin pie began to emerge. Eventually, the modern pumpkin pie, made with a flaky crust and filled with a mixture of pumpkin, sugar, and spices, became a mainstay of the Thanksgiving feast.
You’ll Want To Start By Making a Great Flaky Crust
Making a great flaky crust is the key to a delicious pumpkin pie. To make a flaky crust, you’ll need 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon sugar, and 1 cup cold butter. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, salt, and sugar. Cut the butter into small cubes and then add it to the flour mixture. Using a pastry cutter or two knives, cut the butter into the flour until it resembles coarse crumbs. Add 1/4 cup cold water, a tablespoon at a time, and mix until the dough forms a ball. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour.
Once the dough has chilled, preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into a 12-inch circle and then transfer it to a 9-inch pie dish. Trim the excess dough and then crimp the edges of the crust. Prick the bottom and sides of the crust with a fork and then place a piece of foil over the top and fill it with dry beans or pie weights. Bake the crust for 15 minutes. Remove the foil and beans and then bake for an additional 5-7 minutes or until it is lightly golden brown.
Recipe for Making a Pumpkin Pie
-1 9-inch flaky crust
-1 15-ounce can pumpkin puree
-1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
-1/4 cup granulated sugar
-1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
-1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
-1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
-1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
-1/4 teaspoon salt
-2 large eggs
-1 cup evaporated milk
Kitchen Equipment Needed:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the pumpkin puree, sugars, spices, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs and evaporated milk until they are light and fluffy.
- Gradually add the egg mixture to the pumpkin mixture and whisk until everything is combined.
- Pour the filling into the prepared pie crust and spread it out evenly.
- Bake the pie for 15 minutes at 425 degrees Fahrenheit and then reduce the heat to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and bake for an additional 40-45 minutes or until the filling is set.
- Allow the pie to cool completely before serving.
There you have it! Enjoy this lovely pumpkin pie.
Need other great recipes to try at home? Find some delicious options to test out.