The meatball sandwich is a classic Italian-American dish that has been around for generations. It’s a simple yet delicious meal that can be enjoyed by both kids and adults. The sandwich typically consists of Italian-style meatballs, melted cheese, marinara sauce, and Italian bread. It’s a hearty and flavorful meal that can be enjoyed any time of the day.
The history of the meatball sandwich dates back to the early 1900s, when Italian immigrants in the United States began to make their own versions of this classic dish. The meatballs were usually made with ground beef, pork, and/or veal, and the sandwich often included cheese and marinara sauce. Over the years, the sandwich has become popular in many other countries and is now a beloved classic.
If you want to make a delicious meatball sandwich at home, here is a simple recipe that you can try.
- 1lb ground beef
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup marinara sauce
- 2 slices Italian bread
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Kitchen Equipment Needed:
- Large bowl
- Wooden spoon
- Baking sheet
- Frying pan
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In a large bowl, combine ground beef, breadcrumbs, garlic, egg, Parmesan cheese, parsley, salt, and pepper. Mix together until everything is well combined.
- Form the mixture into small meatballs and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, until the meatballs are cooked through.
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the cooked meatballs and cook for 5-6 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Toast the slices of Italian bread.
- Place the meatballs on the toasted bread and top with marinara sauce and shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Broil in the oven for 3-4 minutes, until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Chopped fresh parsley
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Chopped fresh basil
Optional Way to Add Some Spice:
- Sprinkle some red pepper flakes over the sandwiches for an added kick of heat.
Enjoy your homemade meatball sandwich and don’t forget a drink. Find a great cocktail recipe.