Nasi Goreng is a traditional Indonesian dish that has been around for centuries. It is a fried rice dish that is usually made with a combination of shrimp paste, chili, garlic, and shallots. Nasi Goreng is a staple of Indonesian cuisine and is enjoyed as a main course or as a side dish.
This classic Indonesian dish is incredibly delicious and versatile. It can be enjoyed as a breakfast meal, lunch, or dinner. It is also a great way to use up leftover cooked rice.
Making a great Nasi Goreng at home is easy. Here is a simple recipe to get you started.
- 2 cups cooked long grain white rice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon shrimp paste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 red chili pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped roasted peanuts
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- A large skillet
- A spatula
- A bowl
Nasi Goreng Cooking Instructions:
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the shrimp paste, garlic, shallots, and chili pepper. Fry for about 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the cooked rice and stir to combine.
- Add the soy sauce, fish sauce, and sugar. Stir to combine and cook for another 3-4 minutes until the rice is hot.
- Push the rice to the side of the skillet and crack the eggs into the center. Scramble the eggs and stir to combine with the rice.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Serve the Nasi Goreng in bowls topped with cilantro, peanuts, and a lime wedge.
To add some spice to your Nasi Goreng, try adding a teaspoon of sambal oelek or chili garlic sauce. You can also use a combination of different chilies and spices to create your own unique flavor.
For a twist on the classic dish, try adding cooked shrimp, chicken, or tofu to the dish. You can also add vegetables such as green beans, carrots, bell peppers, or mushrooms. Finally, try adding a teaspoon of curry powder for an extra kick of flavor.
No matter how you make it, Nasi Goreng is sure to be a hit. For another great Indonesian classic try this great recipe for a Mie Goreng. Enjoy!