For centuries, the birria has been a beloved dish in Mexico, with its roots in the indigenous communities of the region. Traditionally, birria was made with goat meat, but today it can be made with beef, pork, lamb, or even chicken. The dish is usually served with a broth, which is flavored with a mix of spices, herbs, and chiles. It is typically served with tortillas, and can be enjoyed as a soup or as tacos.
Making a cheesy beef birria tacos at home is easy and delicious. Here’s what you’ll need:
Main Birria Taco Ingredients:
• 2lbs of beef, cubed
• 2 tablespoons of garlic, minced
• 2 tablespoons of chili powder
• 2 teaspoons of cumin
• 1 teaspoon of oregano
• 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
• 1 teaspoon of salt
• 2 cups of beef broth
• 2 tablespoons of olive oil
• 1 cup of grated cheese
• 12 corn tortillas
Kitchen Equipment Needed:
• Large pot
• Wooden spoon
Birria Cooking Instructions:
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add the cubed beef and cook until lightly browned.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, oregano, apple cider vinegar, salt, and beef broth.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Transfer the beef mixture to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Return the beef mixture to the pot and cook for an additional 15 minutes.
- Heat the tortillas in the oven or in a pan. Put a healthy amount of cheese between two corn tortillas and warm until the cheese is nicely melted.
- To assemble the tacos, place 2-3 tablespoons of the birria mixture in each tortilla.
- Serve with your favorite garnishes, such as diced onions, cilantro, lime wedges, and salsa.
Optional Way to Add Some Spice:
To give your birria tacos an extra kick, you can add some diced jalapeños to the birria mixture before blending. This will give your tacos a nice spicy flavor.
Making cheesy beef birria tacos at home is a great way to get a taste of Mexico right in your own kitchen. With just a few ingredients and simple steps, you can enjoy a delicious and authentic Mexican dish.
How about a great tequila bevvy to go with your meal? Try out this mezcal margarita for a twist on the classic recipe.