Chicken Biryani is one of the most popular dishes in the world. It has a long and rich history that dates back centuries. It is believed to have originated in India and has since spread to other parts of the world.
The traditional recipe for Chicken Biryani consists of marinated chicken, aromatic spices, basmati rice, ghee (clarified butter), and dried fruits or nuts such as almonds and raisins. It is typically cooked in a pot known as a deg or handi. The ingredients are layered in the pot and cooked over a low flame for several hours, resulting in a fragrant and flavorful dish.
Making a great Chicken Biryani at home is fairly easy and requires few ingredients. Here is a simple recipe:
Primary Chicken Biryani Ingredients:
-2 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
-1 teaspoon of turmeric
-1 teaspoon of ground cumin
-1 teaspoon of garam masala
-1 teaspoon of ground coriander
-2 tablespoons of plain yogurt
-2 tablespoons of ghee
-2 cups of basmati rice
-1 onion, chopped
-2 cloves of garlic, minced
-1 teaspoon of salt
-1 teaspoon of ground black pepper
-1 teaspoon of cumin seeds
-1 cup of raisins
-1/2 cup of almonds
-Large pot or deg
-Measuring cups and spoons
- Marinate the chicken by combining the yogurt, turmeric, cumin, garam masala, and coriander in a bowl. Add the chicken pieces and stir to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat the ghee in a large pot or deg over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, about five minutes. Add the garlic and stir for one minute.
- Add the marinated chicken and cook until lightly browned, about five minutes.
- Add the rice, salt, black pepper, cumin seeds, raisins, and almonds. Stir to combine.
- Add two cups of water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand covered for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork before serving.
Optional Spicy Additions:
If you like a little extra heat, try adding a teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes to the marinade or stir some into the finished dish.
Twist on the Classic:
For a twist on the classic dish, try adding some cooked shrimp or cubed paneer cheese to the mix. You can also add different vegetables such as bell peppers or carrots. This will give the dish an entirely new flavor and texture.
Want another great Indian dish to try? Test out this butter chicken recipe.