Stuffed peppers have been around for hundreds of years. They originated in the Mediterranean region, and were popularized by Spanish and Italian cultures. The dish is believed to have been around since the 1500s, and it has been enjoyed by generations ever since.
Stuffed peppers, also known as “peppers rellenos”, are a traditional dish that is made by stuffing peppers with a variety of ingredients. The most common ingredients are ground beef, rice, onions, garlic, tomatoes, and cheese. The peppers are usually roasted in the oven and then served as an entrée.
Stuffed peppers are a classic dish that can be found on dinner tables all over the world. While the traditional recipe is delicious, there are always ways to take the dish to the next level. Here is an upscale twist on stuffed peppers that you can make at home.
Main Stuffed Peppers Ingredients:
- 4 bell peppers (any color)
- 1 pound of lean ground beef
- 1/3 cup of uncooked long grain white rice
- 1/2 cup of diced onions
- 1/2 cup of diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup of grated cheese
- 1 clove of minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon of chili powder
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: 1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
Kitchen Equipment Needed:
- Baking dish
- Cutting board
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cut the tops off the peppers and remove the seeds and membranes.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the ground beef, diced onions, and garlic to the skillet and cook until beef is cooked through.
- Add the rice, tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, oregano, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the grated cheese.
- Stuff the peppers with the beef mixture and place them in a baking dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until peppers are tender.
- Serve with your favorite garnishes.
- Chopped cilantro
- Sour cream
- Pico de gallo
For those looking to add some spice to their stuffed peppers, try adding 1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes to the beef mixture or a quarter cup of Jalapeño. Enjoy!
Need other dinner ideas for the week? Find a few great dish ideas.