Chicken Piccata is a classic Italian dish that is known for its delicious combination of flavors. The history of this dish dates back to the late 1700s or early 1800s when it was first served in Naples, Italy. It was originally made with veal, which is a popular meat in Italian cuisine, but it gradually became popular as a chicken dish. The classic version of the dish is made with a simple sauce of butter, white wine, lemon juice, capers, and parsley, which adds a bright and flavorful finish.
Recipe for an Amazing Chicken Piccata
-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
-Salt and freshly ground black pepper
-¾ cup all-purpose flour
-3 tablespoons olive oil
-3 tablespoons butter
-3 cloves garlic, minced
-1 cup white wine
-1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
-2 tablespoons capers
-2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Kitchen Equipment Needed:
Total cook time is approximately 25 minutes.
- Season the chicken breasts generously with salt and pepper.
- Place the flour in a shallow dish and lightly coat the chicken in the flour.
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken to the skillet and cook for 4 to 5 minutes on each side, or until golden brown and cooked through.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Add the garlic to the skillet and cook for 1 minute.
- Pour in the white wine and lemon juice and bring to a simmer.
- Add the capers and parsley and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Return the chicken to the skillet and cook for 2 minutes, or until heated through.
Optional Way to Add Some Spice:
For an added kick of flavor, try adding a pinch of red pepper flakes to the sauce. This will give the dish a hint of spice that pairs perfectly with the tangy lemon sauce.
Modern Twist on Chicken Piccata:
For a modern twist on the classic Chicken Piccata, try adding some fresh herbs and spices for an extra layer of flavor. A few ideas are to add a teaspoon of fresh thyme, a sprinkle of oregano, or red pepper flakes for some added heat. You can also try adding some diced tomatoes to the sauce for a touch of sweetness.
Need a great app to go with dinner? Try out this great bruschetta recipe.