The Irish Buck cocktail is a unique twist on the classic whiskey sour, with a tart and sweet combination of flavors that make it the perfect summertime drink. The history of this cocktail dates back to the 19th century in Ireland, when it was made with a mix of Irish whiskey and ginger beer. Today, the Irish Buck has become a popular drink worldwide, but its roots remain firmly planted in Ireland.
The traditional Irish Buck cocktail is made with Irish whiskey, sweet-and-sour mix, and ginger beer. However, there are several variations that can be made with other types of spirits, such as bourbon, vodka, or rum. No matter which spirit you use, the combination of sweet-and-sour mix and ginger beer will give you a refreshing and flavorful summertime drink.
To make an Irish Buck cocktail at home, you will need:
- 2 ounces of Irish whiskey. You can substitute the irish whiskey for a blended, rye or bourbon if that’s all you have on hand.
- 2 ounces of lemon juice or sweet-and-sour mix. We’ve also tried making one of these with fresh lime juice which was also quite tasty
- 4 ounces of ginger beer
- Optional garnishes – use a lemon or lime wedge
- Fill a rocks glass with ice.
- Add the whiskey, sweet-and-sour mix or lemon juice, and ginger beer to the glass.
- Stir until combined.
- Add a garnish of your choice, such as a slice of lemon or lime, an orange wedge, or a sprig of mint.
- Serve and enjoy!
This classic Irish Buck cocktail is a refreshing and easy-to-make summertime drink. With its tart and sweet combination of flavors, it’s sure to be a hit at any gathering. So why not give it a try and see how you like it? Cheers!
Looking for something great to make for dinner tonight? We have a multitude of easy recipes to choose from, so take a look at our dish recipes and give one a shot. Let us know how it turns out.