The calzone is a delicious Italian dish that has been around for centuries. It has its roots in Naples, Italy, and was originally created as a way to use up leftover ingredients. Its name literally translates to “trousers” in Italian, which is a reference to the shape of the calzone.
The classic calzone is made with pizza dough, filled with ingredients such as mozzarella cheese, salami, and ricotta cheese. It is then folded into a half-moon shape and baked to perfection. The calzone can also be filled with anything from vegetables to meats, making it a very versatile dish.
If you’re looking for a delicious and easy way to make a calzone at home, this Pepperoni Calzone with Onions and Bell Peppers is sure to hit the spot!
Main Calzone Ingredients:
1 package of store-bought pizza dough
1/2 cup of pizza sauce
1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup of diced pepperoni
1/2 cup of diced onions
1/2 cup of diced bell peppers
Optional: 1/4 cup of chopped jalapeños
Large mixing bowl
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the pizza dough, pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese, pepperoni, onions, and bell peppers. If you want to add some spice, you can add the jalapeños at this point.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pizza dough into a 9-inch circle.
- Place the filling in the center of the dough and fold the edges up to close the calzone.
- Place the calzone on a baking sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown.
- Allow the calzone to cool before cutting and serving.
The calzone can be served with your favorite pizza toppings such as marinara sauce, Parmesan cheese, or fresh basil leaves.
Optional Spicy Addition:
For an extra kick of flavor, you can add a sprinkle of crushed red pepper flakes or a drizzle of hot sauce on top of the calzone before serving.
Looking for other great recipes? Find a recipe the whole family will love.