Turkey noodle soup is a classic comfort food that has been around for generations. It is a simple yet hearty and nourishing meal that is easy to make and can be enjoyed all year round.
The history of turkey noodle soup can be traced back to the early 19th century in Europe. At that time, soup was a popular dish because it was a cheap and easy way to feed large families. In fact, soup was usually served as the main course at most meals. Over the years, different cultures added their own ingredients and spices to the soup, resulting in a variety of recipes.
Today, turkey noodle soup is a classic dish that is enjoyed all around the world. It is a simple yet delicious soup that not only uses up your leftover bird, but can be made with a variety of ingredients. The main ingredients are usually turkey (or chicken), noodles, and a variety of vegetables.
To make turkey noodle soup at home, you will need:
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon each of dried thyme and oregano
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- 2 cups of cooked, diced turkey
- 8 cups of chicken broth
- 1/2 cup of egg noodles
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Large pot
- Wooden spoon
- Cutting board
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook until softened.
- Add the thyme, oregano, carrots, celery, turkey, and chicken broth.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the egg noodles and cook for an additional 10 minutes, or until the noodles are cooked through.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Fresh parsley
- Shredded cheese
- Sour cream
- Crushed crackers
To give the classic turkey noodle soup a twist, try adding a can of diced tomatoes or a package of frozen spinach to the soup. This will add flavor and nutrition to the soup. You can also try adding a tablespoon of curry powder or some fresh herbs like basil or rosemary.
Turkey noodle soup is a classic comfort food that is easy to make and can be enjoyed all year round. With a few simple ingredients and some kitchen equipment, you can make a delicious and nourishing meal that your family will love.
Looking for other soups to make? Find a great soup recipe.