The Crab Melt has been around for decades and is a beloved classic dish for seafood lovers everywhere. This classic sandwich is made with succulent crab meat and a variety of other ingredients, creating a flavorful and comforting meal that’s sure to please.
The origins of the Crab Melt are a bit of a mystery, however it is believed to have been created in the mid-20th century. It is believed to be a spin off of the classic grilled cheese sandwich. This dish was likely a way to use up left over crab meat and other ingredients, creating a delicious and economical meal. Since then, the dish has become a popular lunch and dinner option across the country.
Today, the classic Crab Melt is still a favorite dish among many and can be found in seafood restaurants and other casual eateries. The dish varies from place to place, but the standard ingredients remain the same – a type of bread, cheese, and crab meat. The sandwich is often served with a side of chips, fries, or salad, making it a great option for lunch or dinner.
Recipe for the Perfect Crab Melt
If you’re looking for a delicious seafood dish that’s sure to please, try making a classic Crab Melt in your own kitchen. This recipe serves four, and you can easily adjust the ingredients to suit your taste.
Crab Melt Ingredients:
1 pound of fresh crab meat
4 slices of white bread
1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
4 tablespoons of butter
4 tablespoons of mayonnaise
1 teaspoon of garlic powder
1 teaspoon of onion powder
1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
Salt and pepper to taste
Measuring cups and spoons
Melt Cooking Instructions:
- Start by buttering one side of each slice of bread. Place the slices of bread butter-side down on a cutting board.
- In a medium-sized skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Once the butter is melted, add in the garlic powder, onion powder, and smoked paprika. Stir until the ingredients are combined.
- Add the crab meat to the skillet and cook for about a couple minutes on low heat, stirring occasionally. Note, assuming it’s fresh cooked crab meat, you really only want to warm it up rather than get it really hot.
- Once the crab meat is warm, remove it from the skillet and set aside.
- Spread mayonnaise on the other side of the bread slices.
- Place the slices of bread mayo-side down on a clean cutting board.
- Divide the crab meat among the four slices of bread.
- Top each slice of bread with the shredded cheese.
- Place the sandwiches in a preheated skillet over medium heat and cook for about 4 minutes on each side, until the cheese is melted and the bread is golden brown.
- Remove the sandwiches from the skillet and serve.
For an extra kick of spice, try adding a few dashes of hot sauce to the mayonnaise before spreading it on the bread. You can also try topping the sandwiches with a few slices of jalapenos for an extra spicy kick.
Enjoy your delicious and comforting Crab Melt!
Looking for other great crustacean sandos? Try out this awesome shrimp po boy recipe.