Butter chicken is a classic Indian dish that has been enjoyed for many years. The origin of this beloved recipe is said to have been created by an Indian chef named Kundan Lal Gujral in the 1950s. The unique blend of ingredients, which includes marinated chicken cooked in a creamy sauce of butter, tomato, and spices, made it a popular dish among locals.
Through the years, the dish has become a staple in many Indian restaurants around the world. It is one of the most popular Indian dishes and has been adapted to suit many different tastes. It is also a great dish for those who may not be very familiar with Indian cuisine, as it is a mild dish that is easy to enjoy.
Making a Great Butter Chicken at Home
Butter chicken is a delicious dish that can easily be made at home. Here is a great recipe for making a delicious butter chicken in your own kitchen.
Butter Chicken Key Ingredients:
- 2 pounds of chicken thighs, cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup of butter
- 1 cup of diced onion
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon of ginger, grated
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon of garam masala
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1 teaspoon of coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon of chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup of heavy cream
- Large skillet
- Wooden spoon
- Cutting board
- 20-30 minutes
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken cubes to the skillet and cook until they are golden brown, about 8 minutes.
- Add the butter, onion, garlic and ginger to the skillet and cook until the onions are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, garam masala, cumin, coriander, chili powder, turmeric, salt, and pepper and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low, add the cream and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve the butter chicken with rice, naan, or your favorite side dish.
Optional Spicy Twist:
For those who like a little more spice, you can add a teaspoon of cayenne pepper to the skillet when cooking the tomatoes and spices. This will give the butter chicken an extra kick of flavor.
Twist on a Classic Dish:
For those looking to make a twist on the classic butter chicken dish, try substituting the chicken for a different protein such as shrimp, tofu or tempeh. You can also add some vegetables such as bell peppers or mushrooms. This will give the dish a unique twist and make it a great vegetarian or vegan option.
For a final touch, top the butter chicken with some chopped cilantro, diced onion, and a dollop of Greek yogurt or sour cream. This will add a nice contrast in flavors and make the dish even more delicious.
Butter chicken is a classic Indian dish that is enjoyed by many people around the world. This recipe is easy to make at home and is sure to be a crowd pleaser. With the addition of a few spices, vegetables, or proteins, you can easily make a unique twist on the traditional dish.
Looking for other new and interesting dishes to try at home? Find a great recipe you can create in your own kitchen.