The egg roll has become a classic staple of Chinese takeout menus across the world. It dates back to the 1920s when it was first created in the city of Tianjin in China. The original egg roll was filled with pork and cabbage and served with a light soy sauce. It quickly became a favorite with Chinese immigrants who moved to the United States and by the 1940s, it was an iconic part of Chinese cuisine in America.
Today, egg rolls come in a variety of different flavors and fillings, from pork, beef, and shrimp to cheese and vegetables. But if you’re looking to take your egg rolls up a notch, why not try making them with chorizo?
Chorizo Egg Rolls Recipe
This twist on a classic egg roll is sure to become a favorite. It’s great for a party appetizer or a tasty snack.
Egg Roll Recipe Ingredients
• 1 package egg roll wrappers
• 10 ounces of chorizo, cooked and crumbled
• 1/2 cup diced onion
• 1/2 cup diced bell pepper
• 1/2 cup shredded cheese
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• Salt and pepper to taste
• Frying pan
• Wooden spoon
• Baking sheet
• Small bowl
Egg Roll Cooking Instructions
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and bell pepper and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chorizo and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper.
- Place an egg roll wrapper on a clean surface. Place about 1 tablespoon of the chorizo filling in the center of the wrapper and top with a sprinkle of cheese.
- Fold the bottom edge of the wrapper over the filling, then fold the left and right edges in. Roll the egg roll up tightly and place on a baking sheet.
- Repeat with the remaining wrappers.
- Bake the egg rolls for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
Garnishes and Serving Suggestions
These chorizo egg rolls are delicious served with a side of spicy sour cream or guacamole. For an added kick, sprinkle some red pepper flakes or jalapeno slices on top.
Looking for other great apps to make? Try out these great homemade crab rangoon.