The Gyro is a traditional Greek dish that can be found all over the world. It consists of a pita wrap filled with shaved meat, usually lamb or chicken, tomatoes, onions, and a yogurt-based sauce known as tzatziki. The word gyro is derived from the Greek word “gyros”, which means “turn”, and it refers to the way the meat is cooked on a vertical rotisserie. Gyros are a popular street food, but are also served in restaurants and can even be found in supermarkets.
If you’re looking for a delicious and easy way to make gyros at home, then you’ve come to the right place! This recipe for Chicken Gyros is sure to be a hit with the whole family.
Chicken Gyros Ingredients:
-1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
-2 cloves of garlic, minced
-1 teaspoon of dried oregano
-1 teaspoon of dried basil
-1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin
-1/2 teaspoon of paprika
-1/4 teaspoon of sea salt
-1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
-1/4 cup of olive oil
-2 large pitas
-1/2 cup of tzatziki sauce
-1/2 cup of diced tomatoes
-1/4 cup of diced red onion
-1/4 cup of crumbled feta cheese
Kitchen Tools Needed:
-Measuring Cups and Spoons
-Grill or Grill Pan
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, mix together the garlic, oregano, basil, cumin, paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Place the chicken breasts in a large bowl and rub the spice mixture all over the chicken.
- Heat the olive oil in a large grill pan or skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken breasts to the hot pan and cook for 4-5 minutes per side, or until cooked through.
- Transfer the cooked chicken to a baking sheet and place in the oven for 10 minutes to finish cooking.
- Meanwhile, warm the pitas in the oven for 5 minutes.
- To assemble the gyros, place a few slices of the cooked chicken on each pita, followed by the tzatziki sauce, tomatoes, red onion, and feta cheese.
- Fold the pitas in half and serve.
Cook Time: 20 minutes
-Chopped fresh parsley
-Fresh lemon wedges
-Additional tzatziki sauce
How did your gyros turn out? Let us know if you added anything extra to the recipe.
Looking for other easy weeknight dinner recipes? Check out these simple and delicious dishes.