Chicken Fried Steak has a long and interesting history that has been passed down for generations. It has its roots in German-style schnitzel, which was a popular dish among German immigrants in the South during the 1800s. The schnitzel was adapted to the local palate and was given the name Chicken Fried Steak. It wasn’t until the early 1900s that the dish gained national attention, becoming a favorite comfort food for many Americans.
Chicken Fried Steak is a classic Southern dish that’s easy to make at home. It’s a simple yet delicious dish that’s sure to please the whole family. Here’s a great recipe for making a Chicken Fried Steak at home.
Chicken Fried Steak Ingredients:
•2 pounds of steak, cut into thin slices
•2 cups of all-purpose flour
•1 teaspoon of garlic powder
•1 teaspoon of onion powder
•1 teaspoon of paprika
•1 teaspoon of salt
•1 teaspoon of black pepper
•1 cup of buttermilk
•1 cup of vegetable oil
Kitchen Equipment Needed:
- Place the steak slices on a plate and season with garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt, and pepper.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, buttermilk, and egg until combined.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
- Dip each steak slice in the egg mixture and then coat with the flour mixture.
- Fry the steak slices in the pan, turning once, until golden brown—about 3-4 minutes per side.
- Transfer the chicken fried steaks to a plate lined with paper towels to absorb any excess oil.
- Serve the chicken fried steaks with your favorite sides and enjoy!
• Sliced lemons
• Chopped parsley
• Freshly ground black pepper
• Hot sauce
• Honey mustard sauce
Did you make this chicken fried steak? Let us know how it turned out!
Need other ideas for dinner this week? Find another great recipe for an easy weeknight dinner.