The Horseshoe Sandwich is a beloved classic dish that originated in Illinois. It is believed to have been created in the early twentieth century by a chef named Joe Schweska. The sandwich was originally served at the Loomis Café in Springfield, Illinois and has since been adopted as a local favorite in the Midwest.
At its core, a Horseshoe Sandwich is made up of thick toast, a hamburger patty topped with melted cheese, french fries, and a generous drizzle of cheese sauce. It’s a unique combination of flavors that is sure to make your taste buds happy!
To make a delicious Horseshoe Sandwich at home, you will need the following ingredients:
• 2 hamburger patties
• 2 slices of thick toast
• 2 slices of American cheese
• French fries
• Cheese sauce
You will also need the following kitchen equipment:
• Grill or stove
- Preheat your grill or stove to medium-high heat and cook your hamburger patties for 3 to 5 minutes on each side, or until they are cooked through.
- Toast your thick slices of toast in a toaster.
- Place a hamburger patty on each slice of toast and top with a slice of American cheese.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and add the french fries. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes, or until they are golden brown and crispy.
- Place the french fries on top of the cheese and hamburger patties.
- Drizzle the cheese sauce over the french fries.
- Serve and enjoy!
• Chopped onion
• Chopped lettuce
• Sliced tomatoes
For an added kick of flavor, try adding some jalapeño slices or hot sauce to your Horseshoe Sandwich.
There you have it! A delicious and easy-to-make Horseshoe Sandwich that you can enjoy in the comfort of your own home.
How about other great sandwich recipes you can easily make at home? Find an awesome sandwich recipe here.