The history of Wisconsin Cheese Soup is a long and delicious one. This savory soup originated in the heart of the Dairy State: Wisconsin. It has been around since the late 1800s and was created by Wisconsin’s early settlers who were looking for a tasty and economical way to use excess cheese.
Wisconsin Cheese Soup is a rich, creamy soup made with cheddar cheese and other flavorful ingredients including onions, celery, garlic, and a variety of spices. It’s a hearty, comforting soup that is sure to please even the pickiest of eaters.
This classic soup is a staple of Wisconsin’s culinary heritage and can be found on menus in restaurants across the state. It’s a beloved comfort food that has been enjoyed for generations.
Wisconsin Cheese Soup Recipe Ingredients:
• 6 tablespoons butter
• 1 cup diced onions
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 cup diced celery
• 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
• 2 cups chicken broth
• 2 cups half-and-half
• 1 pound sharp cheddar cheese, grated
• 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
• 1 teaspoon dry mustard
• 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
• 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (optional)
Kitchen Equipment Needed:
• Large saucepan
• Wooden spoon
• Measuring cups
• 30 minutes
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions, garlic, and celery and cook until the vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Slowly whisk in the chicken broth and half-and-half. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low and stir in the cheddar cheese, Worcestershire sauce, dry mustard, black pepper, and cayenne pepper.
- Cook for an additional 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the cheese is melted and the soup is creamy.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings as desired.
- Serve the soup hot, garnished with parsley, if desired.
Makes 6 servings.
Making it Spicy:
If you’re looking to add some extra heat, you can increase the amount of cayenne pepper in the recipe or add a few dashes of hot sauce. You can also add jalapenos or other spicy peppers for an extra kick. Just be sure to taste the soup before adding more heat, as it can quickly become too spicy.
Need other great soup recipes? Find a tasty soup to make this week.