If you’re looking for a tasty Southwestern treat, look no further than the Arizona cheese crisp. This delicious dish has been around for decades, and it’s a popular staple in the Grand Canyon State.
The Arizona cheese crisp originated in the 1950s, when a Mexican restaurant in Tucson started making them. The dish quickly became a favorite of locals and visitors alike. The traditional cheese crisp is made with a thick flour tortilla, shredded cheese, and jalapenos. The tortilla is then either baked or fried until the cheese is melted and golden.
Making an Arizona cheese crisp at home is easy and delicious. Here’s what you’ll need:
Arizona Cheese Crisp Ingredients:
-1 large flour tortilla
-2 cups of shredded cheese (cheddar, pepper jack, or Mexican blend)
-1/4 cup of diced jalapenos
-1/4 cup of diced onion
-1 tablespoon of butter
-Non-stick cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and lightly spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place the tortilla on the baking sheet and spread the cheese, jalapenos, and onion on top.
- Dot the top of the cheese crisp with butter and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and golden brown.
- Optional: Add 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper for a spicy kick.
- Serve hot with your favorite garnishes such as salsa, sour cream, guacamole, or diced tomatoes.
The Arizona cheese crisp is the perfect dish for a party or a night in. It’s easy to make and guaranteed to be a hit. Enjoy!
How about a great marg to go with it? Give this mango margarita recipe a try.