The Pasty is a delicious and hearty dish with a rich history dating back to the days of the tin miners in Cornwall, England. Originating from the word “pastel”, which means pastry in Cornish, the pasty has been around for hundreds of years. It was a staple for the miners, as it was easy to make and carry, and provided a full meal in one dish. The traditional pasty is made with beef, potatoes, onion, and swede (also known as rutabaga), all wrapped in a pastry crust.
Today, the pasty is still a popular dish in Cornwall and other parts of the UK. It is also commonly eaten in the United States, particularly in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula, where it is sometimes called a Cornish pasty. With its hearty ingredients and delicious taste, it’s no wonder the pasty is still around today.
For those who want to make their own pasty at home, here is a simple recipe:
-1 lb ground beef
-1 large potato, diced
-1 large onion, diced
-1 medium swede, diced
-1/2 tsp ground black pepper
-1 tsp sea salt
-1/4 cup butter
-Enough pastry dough to make a double-crust pie
-Prep time: 30 minutes
-Cook time: 30 minutes
-Total time: 1 hour
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a large bowl, combine the beef, potato, onion, swede, salt and pepper. Mix together until all ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Cut the butter into small cubes and add to the bowl. Mix together until the butter is evenly distributed.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pastry dough to 1/8 inch thick. Cut the dough into two 12-inch circles.
- Place one of the circles on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Scoop the beef mixture onto the center of the dough, leaving a 1-inch border around the edges.
- Place the second circle of dough on top of the beef mixture. Pinch the edges of the dough together to seal.
- Cut several slits in the top of the pasty to allow steam to escape.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Optional Addition for Spice:
-Add 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper to the beef mixture for a spicy kick.
Enjoy your delicious pasty and don’t forget the drink. Get some inspiration from our cocktail recipes.