Nothing says Kentucky quite like the classic Hot Brown sandwich. This open-faced sandwich is sure to be a hit at your next gathering, and it has a long, interesting history. Check out this post and learn about the Kentucky favorite Hot Brown Sandwich. This open faced sandwich has some similarities to an eggs benedict with its delicious hollandaise sauce, and is definitely something you’ll want to try out. Before we jump into the recipe, let’s run down a little history of the sandwich.
The Hot Brown was first served in 1926 at the Brown Hotel in Louisville, Kentucky. It was created by Chef Fred K. Schmidt as an alternative to the traditional ham and eggs. The sandwich consists of a thick slice of Texas toast covered with turkey and bacon, and smothered in a rich, creamy Mornay sauce. The sandwich is then topped with tomatoes and baked in an oven until the cheese is bubbly and golden.
To make this classic Hot Brown sandwich, you will need the following ingredients:
- 2 slices of thick-cut Texas toast
- 6 ounces of sliced turkey
- 2 slices of bacon, cooked
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 slices of tomato
You will also need the following kitchen tools:
- Sauté pan
- Butter knife
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Toast the Texas toast in the oven until golden.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk until a paste forms.
- Slowly add the milk, whisking constantly until the sauce thickens.
- Add the Parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper. Simmer for a few minutes until the cheese melts.
- Place the toast on a baking sheet. Top with the turkey and bacon.
- Pour the Mornay sauce over the toast and spread evenly.
- Top with the tomato slices.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 15 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly and golden.
- Serve hot.
To garnish your Hot Brown, we would suggest you sprinkle it with a little extra Parmesan cheese and freshly chopped parsley. And if you’re looking a side to go with it, you can’t go wrong with some crispy french fries, a little salad, or even a cup of soup. Enjoy!
Need other sandwich ideas? Check out these great sandwich recipes.