Chicken and dumplings is a dish that is beloved by many and has a long and varied history. The origins of the dish can be traced back to the Medieval era in Europe, when a similar dish was made with chicken and large, flat pieces of dough. Over the centuries, the dish has taken many forms and can be found in different versions around the world. In the United States, chicken and dumplings is often made with a thick, creamy broth, chicken, and small, round dumplings made from biscuit dough.
The dish was popular in the American South during the 19th century and was usually cooked in a large pot over an open fire. It was a popular dish for large gatherings, such as church suppers, and could easily be prepared for a large crowd. The dish was also a popular way to use up leftover chicken and was often served with vegetables or canned fruit.
Today, chicken and dumplings is a popular comfort food that is enjoyed all over the world. It is a simple and comforting dish that is perfect for a weeknight meal. Here is an easy recipe for making chicken and dumplings in the crockpot for a quick and easy weeknight meal.
Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings Ingredients:
• 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
• 1 can of cream of chicken soup
• 1 can of chicken broth
• 2 cups of frozen mixed vegetables
• 2 teaspoons of dried thyme
• 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
• 1 teaspoon of onion powder
• Salt and pepper to taste
• 1 package of biscuit dough
Kitchen Equipment Needed:
• Cutting board
- Place the chicken breasts in the bottom of the crockpot.
- Add in the cream of chicken soup, chicken broth, frozen vegetables, thyme, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt and pepper. Stir until combined.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- About 30 minutes before serving, cut the biscuit dough into 1 inch pieces and add to the crockpot.
- Cover and cook for an additional 30 minutes, or until the dumplings are cooked through.
- Serve the chicken and dumplings hot with a side of your favorite vegetables.
This recipe makes enough chicken and dumplings for at least four servings. Enjoy!
How about some other easy dishes to make this week? Find some simple recipes you can make with ease.