The humble pot roast has been around for centuries, and its roots can be traced back to the medieval era. It was originally made from just a few ingredients—meat, vegetables, and some spices. The meat was typically cooked slowly over an open fire in a large pot, and the vegetables were added for flavor. This slow cooking method allowed the flavors to infuse and blend together, creating a delicious dish that has been enjoyed by many over the years.
Today, pot roast is still a popular dish, and there are many variations on the traditional recipe. Here is a modern recipe for pot roast that will have your family and friends begging for more:
- 2-3lbs of beef chuck roast
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- 2 cups of beef broth
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste, but remember salt enhancers flavor, so don’t be shy
- Large pot or Dutch oven
- Wooden spoon
- Preheat oven to 325°F
- Liberally salt the entire exterior of the beef. We prefer to salt the the meat a few hours (or the night before) before we plan to start cooking.
- Place the beef chuck roast in the pot or Dutch oven with the onion, garlic, carrots, celery, beef broth, oregano, tomato paste, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Bring the contents of the pot to a boil, then reduce heat and cover.
- Simmer for 2-3 hours, or until the meat is tender.
- Remove the pot from the heat and let the meat rest for 10-20 minutes before serving.
- Chopped fresh parsley or cilantro
- Sliced green onions
- Chopped hard-boiled eggs
- Chopped fresh tomatoes
- Shredded cheese
- Crumbled bacon
- Sliced mushrooms
- Sliced olives
- Sour cream
This modern pot roast recipe is a delicious way to enjoy a classic dish. The flavors infuse together as the meat slowly cooks, making for a flavorful and comforting meal. Serve with mashed potatoes or crusty bread and a side of vegetables for a complete meal. Enjoy!
Find a great drink to complete your hearty meal.