A hearty beef and barley stew is the perfect meal to warm up a cold night. Easy to make and packed with flavor, it’s a great way to feed a crowd or have leftovers throughout the week. Here’s how to make it:
What You’ll Need:
– 2 tablespoons olive oil
– 2 pounds diced beef chuck
– 1 onion, diced
– 2 cloves garlic, minced
– 3 or 4 medium sized potatoes, peeled and cubed
– 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
– 2 stalks celery, chopped
– 4 cups beef broth
– 2 cups water
– 1/2 cup pearl barley
– 2 bay leaves
– 1 teaspoon dried oregano
– Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat the olive oil in a large stock pot over medium-high heat.
2. Add the beef and onion to the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until the beef is browned, about 5 minutes.
3. Add the garlic, potatoes, carrots, and celery and cook until the vegetables are softened, about 3 minutes.
4. Stir in the beef broth, water, barley, bay leaves, oregano, salt, and pepper.
5. Bring the stew to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
6. Remove the bay leaves and season with salt and pepper to taste.
– Chopped fresh parsley
– Grated parmesan cheese
– Sour cream
This beef and barley stew is sure to be a hit with your family. It’s packed with flavor, and the pearl barley adds a delicious nutty texture. Serve it with a side of crusty bread for a complete meal. Enjoy!
Find a great bevvy to go with your hearty meal.