Vegetarian chili is a classic dish that has been around for decades. It is a great way to enjoy a filling and delicious meal without relying on meat. The origins of this dish are not clear, but there is evidence that it has been around since at least the 1970s.
At that time, it was often made with canned beans, canned tomatoes, and spices. Over time, as more people started to incorporate vegetarianism into their diets, vegetarian chili recipes began to evolve. Now, there are countless variations featuring different types of vegetables, beans, and other plant-based ingredients.
Here is a delicious and easy vegetarian chili recipe that you can make in no time.
Veggie Chili Ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, chopped
- 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can of white beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- ½ cup of frozen corn
- 1 tablespoon of chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- ½ teaspoon of oregano
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- ¼ teaspoon of black pepper
- Medium-sized pot with a lid
- Wooden spoon
Veggie Chili Cooking Instructions:
- Heat the olive oil in a medium-sized pot over medium heat.
- Once the oil is hot, add the onion and garlic. Cook until the vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the bell pepper and jalapeño pepper. Cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add the beans, vegetable broth, diced tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt, and black pepper. Stir everything together.
- Cover the pot with a lid and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once the chili is done, turn off the heat and let cool before serving.
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Chopped fresh jalapeños
- Chopped red onions
- Green onion
- Sliced avocado
- Sour cream or Greek yogurt
- Shredded cheese
- Tortilla chips
There you have it. Let us know how your veggie chili turns out. And, if you’re looking for great vegetarian breakfast option, we’d highly recommend these chilaquiles!