The Runza Sandwich is a well-loved comfort food classic, originating in Nebraska in 1949. It is a variation of a traditional Eastern European recipe, which was originally stuffed with beef, pork, and cabbage. The Runza Sandwich is a delicious combination of ground beef, cabbage, onions, and spices stuffed between two layers of bread.
The history of the Runza Sandwich began in 1949, when a small family-owned restaurant in Lincoln, Nebraska began serving the sandwich. It quickly became a local favorite and the restaurant eventually franchised their concept, allowing the Runza Sandwich to spread across Nebraska and the Midwest.
In the decades since its introduction, the Runza Sandwich has become a staple of Midwest cuisine. It is now served in many restaurants and fast-food establishments throughout the region. The Runza Sandwich has also become a popular choice for tailgating and game-day events in Nebraska and other Midwestern states.
Now, let’s get to the recipe! To make a Runza Sandwich at home, you will need the following ingredients:
-Salt and pepper
-Your favorite bread (we recommend a hearty wheat or rye)
You will also need the following kitchen equipment:
-A large skillet
-A cutting board
-A sharp knife
- Begin by heating the skillet over medium heat.
- Add the ground beef and cook until it is completely browned.
- Add the cabbage, onion, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cut the bread in half and spread the beef and cabbage mixture between the two halves.
- Place the sandwich in a preheated 350°F oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the bread is golden brown.
- Remove the sandwich from the oven and let cool for a few minutes.
- Slice the sandwich in half and serve with your favorite condiments and garnishes.
Optional ways to add some spice:
-You could add some chopped jalapenos to the beef mixture before baking.
-You could top the sandwich with some hot sauce or sriracha.
For a cheesy Runza Sandwich, you could add some shredded cheese to the beef mixture before baking. The cheese will melt and create a delicious cheesy delight.
No matter how you choose to make your Runza Sandwich, we guarantee you’ll be in for a tasty treat! Enjoy!
Need a bevvy? Find a great cocktail recipe to go with your Runza.