Debris sandwiches, also known as Poboy sandwiches, are a beloved classic from the heart of Louisiana. This hearty sandwich is packed full of flavor and is a favorite among locals. The origin of the debris sandwich dates back to the 1920s in New Orleans when a small restaurant called “Central Grocery” began serving up their signature version of this classic. The sandwich was meant to be an inexpensive option that would provide a lot of sustenance and flavor.
Today, debris sandwiches are a popular item on menus throughout the South and beyond. If you’re looking to whip up a delicious debris sandwich, here’s what you’ll need:
Debris Sandwich Ingredients:
- French Bread Loaf
- Roast Beef (sliced thin)
- 1 Onion (sliced thin)
- 1 Bell Pepper (sliced thin)
- 1 Celery Stalk (sliced thin)
- 1/2 cup Beef Stock
- Salt and Pepper
- Baking Sheet
- Cutting Board
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the roast beef slices on the baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes or until beef is cooked through.
- Meanwhile, prepare the vegetables by slicing them into thin strips.
- Once the roast beef is done, remove from oven and let cool.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the beef stock.
- Add the onions, bell peppers, and celery to the skillet and cook until vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the roast beef to the skillet and stir to combine.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- To assemble the sandwich, cut a loaf of French bread in half lengthwise.
- Spread mayonnaise on both sides of the bread.
- Layer the roast beef and vegetables on the bottom half of the bread and season with salt and pepper.
- Top with the other half of the bread and press down firmly.
- Slice the sandwich into individual pieces and serve.
For a delicious twist, you can also add cheese, lettuce, and tomatoes to the sandwich. For a tasty garnish, sprinkle some chopped parsley over the top.
Debris sandwiches are delicious on their own and also pair well with sides such as potato salad, cole slaw, or french fries. Enjoy!
If you need other great sandwich ideas, check out these sandwich recipes.