Nashville Fried Chicken is a beloved Southern delicacy that has been around for generations. The unique dish is made by deep-frying chicken in a spicy mixture of cayenne pepper, garlic powder, and other seasonings. It is then served with a variety of toppings, such as pickles, tomatoes, lettuce, and hot sauce. The dish originated in the city of Nashville, Tennessee and has become popular in many other parts of the United States.
Nashville Fried Chicken has a long and interesting history. The dish was invented in the 1930s by a Nashville restaurant owner named Thornton Prince. He wanted to create a unique dish for his restaurant, something that would stand out from the other fried chicken dishes in the area. By adding a spicy mixture of seasonings to the chicken, he created the now-famous Nashville Fried Chicken.
Over the years, the dish has become a beloved staple of the South. It can be found in many restaurants, as well as in homes across the region. The dish has also gained popularity outside of the South, with many restaurants offering their own versions of the dish.
If you’re looking to try Nashville Fried Chicken at home, we’ve got you covered! Here’s a great recipe for making a Nashville Fried Chicken Sandwich.
Nashville Fried Chicken Sandwich Recipe
-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
-1 cup all-purpose flour
-1 teaspoon garlic powder
-1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
-1 teaspoon paprika
-1 teaspoon salt
-1 teaspoon black pepper
-1 cup buttermilk
-2 cups vegetable oil, for frying
-4 hamburger buns
Equipment Needed: large skillet, shallow bowls, paper towels
- In a shallow bowl, combine the flour, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, paprika, salt, and black pepper. Mix until combined.
- In a separate shallow bowl, pour the buttermilk.
- Dip each chicken breast in the buttermilk, then coat with the flour mixture. Make sure to coat the chicken evenly.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Once the oil is hot, add the chicken breasts and cook for 4 minutes per side, or until the chicken is golden brown and cooked through.
- Remove the chicken from the oil and place on a paper towel-lined plate to soak up any excess oil.
- To assemble the sandwiches, place a chicken breast on each hamburger bun and top with desired toppings. We recommend pickles, tomatoes, lettuce, and hot sauce.
Cook Time: 8 minutes
-extra hot sauce
There you have it, a spicy Nashville Hot Chicken Sandwich. Give it a try and let us know how it turned out.
If you’re looking for a cool beverage to go with your spicy chicken, try out this lovely Lynchburg Lemonade cocktail recipe.