Mozzarella sticks are one of America’s favorite snacks. With their gooey, cheesy center and crunchy outer coating, it’s no wonder why! But, did you know that mozzarella sticks have a long and interesting history?
Mozzarella sticks, or “mozz sticks” as they are sometimes called, were first invented in the United States in the late 1960s. They were originally served as an appetizer in restaurants, although they quickly became a popular snack. Some give TGI Friday’s credit for making mozz sticks at hit across the country.
The first mozzarella sticks were made with a cheese called mozzarella di bufala, a type of buffalo milk cheese that was imported from Italy. This cheese was cut into thin strips, dipped in a seasoned batter, and then deep fried.
Today, mozzarella sticks are still a popular snack, but the recipe has changed slightly. Now, mozzarella sticks are usually made with regular mozzarella cheese (not buffalo milk cheese) and the batter is usually made from a combination of flour, breadcrumbs, and seasonings.
If you’re looking for a delicious way to make your own homemade mozzarella sticks, try this recipe:
-1 package of string cheese
-1/2 cup of all-purpose flour
-1/2 cup of breadcrumbs
-1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning
-1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
-1/2 teaspoon of onion powder
-1/2 teaspoon of paprika
-1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
-1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin
-1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper (optional for extra spice)
-2 eggs, lightly beaten
-1/2 cup of milk
-Vegetable oil for frying
- Cut the string cheese into 1/2 inch thick slices.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, breadcrumbs, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, black pepper, cumin, and cayenne pepper (optional).
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk.
- Dip each piece of cheese in the egg mixture, then coat with the flour mixture.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Fry the mozzarella sticks in batches until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Remove the mozzarella sticks from the oil and place on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Serve with a zesty marinara sauce for dipping.
These mozzarella sticks are sure to be a hit with your family and friends! Serve them as an appetizer or as a snack with a zesty marinara sauce for dipping. For an extra kick of spice, try adding a pinch of cayenne pepper to the batter. Enjoy!
How about a great bevvy for the party? Give one of these great cocktail recipes a shot.