The potato skin appetizer has become a common staple and crowd favorite in many restaurants and households. But where did it come from and how did it become so popular?
The potato skin appetizer is believed to have been created in the early 1970’s at the Red Mill Restaurant in Buffalo, New York. It was the brainchild of Jack Groh, the owner of the restaurant. Jack created the dish by hollowing out potatoes and filling them with a combination of bacon, cheddar cheese and chives. The dish became an instant hit and spread like wildfire.
Today, potato skins are a popular appetizer and are served in a variety of ways. But if you’re looking to make them at home, here’s a simple recipe that’s sure to please.
- 4 large baking potatoes
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup of grated cheddar cheese
- 4 strips of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 cup of chopped chives
Kitchen Equipment You’ll Want:
- Baking sheet
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Wash the potatoes and pat them dry.
- Using a fork, pierce the potatoes several times.
- Place the potatoes on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake in the oven for 45 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Cut the potatoes in half lengthwise and use a spoon to scoop out the potato flesh, leaving about a 1/4-inch of potato on the skin.
- Brush the insides of the potato skins with butter and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the potato skins back on the baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with cheddar cheese and crumbled bacon.
- Return to the oven and bake for another 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and golden.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the chopped chives.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
You can also add a variety of other garnishes to your potato skins. Try topping them with sour cream, diced tomatoes, jalapenos, green onions, onions, olives, or cooked ground beef. The possibilities are endless!
If you’re looking to add a bit of spice, you could try topping them with a generous amount of hot sauce. This will give the potato skins a nice kick that will definitely be a hit with your guests.
No matter how you top them, potato skins are sure to be a hit with your guests. So the next time you’re entertaining, give this recipe a try!