Chicago-style hot dogs are a classic American treat. Originating in the Windy City, they have become a favorite of hot dog aficionados around the world. The Chicago-style hot dog is a unique and delicious combination of flavors and ingredients, bringing together a hearty all-beef frankfurter and an array of fresh and zesty toppings.
The history of the Chicago hot dog dates back to the late 1800s when German immigrants began selling hot dogs from pushcarts on the streets of Chicago. By the early 1900s, the hot dog had become a popular street food in the city and the signature “Chicago-style” hot dog was born. This classic version of the hot dog includes a Vienna Beef frankfurter, yellow mustard, pickled sport peppers, sweet pickle relish, tomato slices, diced onion, celery salt, and a poppy seed bun.
Making a Chicago hot dog at home is easy and can be done in under 30 minutes with some simple ingredients and basic kitchen equipment. Here’s what you’ll need:
-Poppy seed hot dog buns
-Pickled sport peppers
-Sweet pickle relish
-Grill or stovetop
-Tongs or spatula
- Heat the grill or stovetop to medium-high heat.
- Place the frankfurters on the grill or stovetop and cook for 8-10 minutes, flipping occasionally to ensure even cooking.
- Place the poppy seed buns on the grill or stovetop and toast lightly.
- Remove the frankfurters and buns from the heat and begin assembling your hot dog. Spread a generous amount of yellow mustard on the bun, then top with a frankfurter.
- Add the remaining toppings in this order: pickled sport peppers, sweet pickle relish, tomato slices, diced onion, and a sprinkle of celery salt.
- Serve and enjoy your Chicago-style hot dog!
For an added kick of flavor, add a few slices of jalapeno peppers to your hot dog. This will give it a spicy kick that will make it even more delicious.
So there you have it – a classic Chicago-style hot dog that you can make at home in just minutes. Whether you’re a hot dog aficionado or just looking for a quick and easy meal, this is a delicious way to enjoy a classic American favorite. Now, try out a great cocktail to complement this Windy City staple.