Apple pie is an iconic dessert loved by many, but have you ever wondered where the recipe for this classic dish comes from? The history of apple pie dates back centuries and is full of interesting flavors and ingredients that have changed over the years.
The origins of apple pie can be traced back to the 14th century in Europe. During this time, apples were considered to be a luxury item, so this type of pie was a special treat. The recipe for the pie filling would include apples, spices, and honey. The crust was made from a combination of flour, lard, and a bit of sugar.
Over time, the recipe for apple pie has changed and evolved. In the 17th century, sugar became more widely available, so it was added to the recipe. By the 18th century, the recipe had become much more similar to what we know today. Apples, sugar, and spices were all combined in a sweet filling, and a butter-based crust was used to contain the filling.
Today, apple pie is a classic dessert that is enjoyed all over the world. While the recipe has changed over the years, the flavor and texture of this classic dessert is still the same.
Recipe For Making a Homemade Apple Pie
Making a homemade apple pie is easier than you might think! Here is a simple recipe that you can use to make a delicious classic apple pie at home.
For the crust:
-2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
-1 teaspoon salt
-1 teaspoon sugar
-2 sticks (8 ounces) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
-1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon cold water
For the filling:
-8 cups thinly sliced apples
-1/2 cup light brown sugar
-1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
-1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
-1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
-1/4 teaspoon salt
-2 tablespoons unsalted butter
-2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
-2 tablespoons cold water
-9-inch pie dish
-Measuring cups and spoons
- To make the crust, combine the flour, salt, and sugar in a food processor and pulse several times to combine. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal. With the motor running, add the water and process until the dough starts to come together.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until it is smooth. Form the dough into a disc and wrap it in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out into a 12-inch circle. Place the dough into a 9-inch pie dish and crimp the edges.
- To make the filling, combine the apples, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt in a large bowl. Mix until the apples are evenly coated.
- In a small bowl, combine the butter, flour, and water. Mix until the mixture is smooth.
- Pour the apple mixture into the pie dish and then pour the butter mixture over the top.
- Place the pie in the preheated oven and bake for 45 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling.
- Let the pie cool before serving.
-Vanilla ice cream
-Pair your pie with a nice slice of cheddar cheese. We guarantee you won’t regret it.
A Twist on the Classic Apple Pie
If you’re looking for a way to switch up the classic apple pie recipe, try adding a layer of puff pastry to the top of the pie before baking. This will give you a crunchy and flaky top crust that is sure to please. You could also try adding a layer of streusel to the top for a little extra sweetness.
Looking for other great pie recipes? Check out this pecan pie.