If you’ve ever had the pleasure of eating St. Louis-style pizza, you know that it’s an experience like no other. This unique style of pizza has a surprisingly long and interesting history. From its humble beginnings to its current status as one of the most popular types of pizza in the US, here’s the story behind St. Louis-style pizza.
The origins of St. Louis-style pizza can be traced back to the 1950s. At that time, a local restaurant named Imo’s Pizza began producing a type of pizza with a thin, cracker-like crust. This style of pizza was unlike anything else on the market, and it quickly gained popularity.
The key to Imo’s pizza was its unique crust. To achieve the perfect thin, crunchy crust, Imo’s used a special type of flour and a unique baking process. They also used a special type of cheese, Provel, which is a combination of cheddar, Swiss, and provolone.
As the years passed, Imo’s pizza became increasingly popular. Eventually, other pizza parlors began to produce their own versions of the St. Louis-style pizza. These pizzas began to spread across the US, and St. Louis became known as the “Pizza Capital of the World”.
Today, St. Louis-style pizza is one of the most popular types of pizza in the US. This style of pizza is characterized by its thin, cracker-like crust and its unique Provel cheese. St. Louis-style pizza can be found in restaurants across the country, and its popularity shows no signs of slowing down.
If you’d like to make St. Louis-style pizza at home, here’s a simple recipe that will get you started.
St Louis Pizza Key Ingredients:
• 2 cups all-purpose flour
• 1 teaspoon sugar
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/4 cup vegetable oil
• 1 cup warm water
• 2 cups Provel cheese
• 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
• Your favorite pizza toppings
• Large bowl
• Rolling pin
• Pizza Stone
• Pizza cutter
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder. Stir in the vegetable oil and warm water until a soft dough forms.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and roll it out into a thin, 12-inch circle.
- Transfer the dough to a pizza stone and top with the Provel and mozzarella cheeses.
- Add your favorite pizza toppings, then bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove the pizza from the oven and let it cool for 5 minutes before slicing.
This recipe makes one 12-inch pizza, which should feed 2-3 people. It can be served as-is, or you can garnish it with fresh herbs, Parmesan cheese, and red pepper flakes. Enjoy!
Looking for a classic NYC pizza recipe? Check out this great New York style pizza recipe.