The Croque Monsieur is a classic French sandwich dish that has been a staple of French cuisine for centuries. Its name roughly translates to “mister crunch” and is believed to have originated in Paris sometime in the late 19th century. The classic version of the dish features a toasted ham and cheese sandwich with a creamy béchamel sauce and grated cheese on top.
The dish has become a beloved classic in France and around the world, with variations popping up in different countries. In the United States, the dish is often referred to as the “grilled cheese sandwich” or just “grilled cheese”, while in the UK it is sometimes known as a “toasted cheese sandwich”.
Making a Croque Monsieur at home is easy and can be done in just a few simple steps. Here’s what you’ll need:
- 2 slices of white bread
- 4 slices of ham
- 2 slices of cheese
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Kitchen Equipment Needed:
- Toaster or griddle
- Preheat your toaster or griddle to medium-high heat.
- Spread the butter on one side of each slice of bread.
- Place the slices of bread butter-side down on the preheated toaster or griddle.
- Place the slices of ham and cheese on top of one slice of bread.
- Top with the remaining slice of bread, butter-side up.
- Toast the sandwich on both sides until the cheese is melted and the bread is golden brown, about 3-4 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile, make the béchamel sauce by melting the butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Gradually whisk in the milk, stirring constantly until the mixture is smooth and thickened.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the Dijon mustard, salt, and pepper.
- Spread the béchamel sauce over the top of the toasted sandwich.
- Sprinkle the grated cheese over the top of the béchamel sauce.
- Place the sandwich under the broiler until the cheese is melted and bubbly, about 3-5 minutes.
Garnish with fresh parsley, if desired.
For an extra spicy kick, add a few dashes of hot sauce to the béchamel sauce or sprinkle some red pepper flakes over the top before broiling.
Enjoy your Croque Monsieur!
How about another great sandwich option? Give this Bánh mì recipe a shot another day this week for an exotic treat.