Butternut squash soup is a classic winter favorite that has been around for centuries. The earliest known recipe for a butternut squash soup dates back to 18th century England, where it was served to royalty as a luxurious delicacy. Since then, the dish has evolved and become popular in many countries around the world.
Making butternut squash soup at home is surprisingly easy and can be made in an hour or less. Here is a recipe you can follow to make a delicious and comforting bowl of butternut squash soup:
The Key Ingredients:
-1 large butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
-2 tablespoons butter
-1 onion, diced
-2 cloves garlic, minced
-4 cups vegetable broth
-Salt and pepper, to taste
-Optional garnishes: chopped chorizo, chopped cilantro, crumbled queso fresco
- In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook for 3-4 minutes until softened.
- Add the cubed butternut squash and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Pour in the vegetable broth and season with salt and pepper.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat and let it simmer for 25-30 minutes or until the squash is tender.
- Use a ladle to transfer the soup to a blender and puree until smooth.
- Return the soup to the pot and bring it back to a simmer.
- Serve the soup in individual bowls and top each bowl with chopped chorizo, chopped cilantro, and crumbled queso fresco.
To add more flavor and texture to your butternut squash soup, you can garnish it with other ingredients. Try adding some of your favorite herbs and spices, such as rosemary, sage, or cumin. You can also top it with crumbled bacon, fried onions, or roasted pumpkin seeds.
Optional Spicy Additions:
If you like your soup with a bit of spice, you can add a few dashes of hot sauce or a pinch of cayenne pepper to the pot before serving. Alternatively, you can top each bowl of soup with a dollop of sour cream or Greek yogurt and a sprinkle of chili powder.
Butternut squash soup is a delicious and comforting dish that is perfect for cold winter days. With just a few simple ingredients and some optional garnishes and spicy additions, you can create a bowl of soup that is sure to please!
Need other soup options? Find other great soup recipes.