Pozole, a traditional Mexican soup, has been around for centuries and is believed to have been enjoyed since at least the time of the Aztecs. Pozole is a broth-based soup that usually contains pork, hominy, and a variety of spices and seasonings. The popularity of pozole has spread throughout Latin America and the United States, where it has become a beloved and frequently served dish.
Now, let’s get to the recipe! Pozole is a delicious and comforting soup that is easy to make at home.
To make a traditional pozole, you will need:
-3 lbs of pork shoulder
-3 cans of hominy, drained
-1 onion, diced
-1 teaspoon garlic powder
-2 tablespoons of oregano
-1 teaspoon of cumin
-1 teaspoon of salt
-1 teaspoon of pepper
-4 cups of chicken broth
-1/4 cup of chopped cilantro
Kitchen Equipment Needed:
Pozole Cooking Instructions:
- Begin by heating some oil in a stock pot over medium heat.
- Once the oil is hot, add the diced onion and sauté for a few minutes until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Add the pork shoulder to the pot and cook until the meat is browned.
- Once the pork is browned, add the garlic powder, oregano, cumin, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Add the chicken broth and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and simmer for 1-2 hours.
- Once the pork is tender, add the hominy and cilantro. Simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
- Serve the pozole hot with a variety of optional garnishes, such as diced onion, cilantro, lime wedges, radishes, and avocado.
Optional Way To Add Some Spice:
If you’d like to add some spice to your pozole, you could try adding a tablespoon of chili powder or a few diced jalapeños to the pot when you add the other spices.
Pozole is a delicious and comforting soup that is sure to please any crowd. With its simple ingredients and easy instructions, you’ll be able to create a delicious meal in no time at all!
Looking for other soup ideas? Check out these great soup recipes.