The patty melt is one of America’s classic comfort foods. It’s a simple yet delicious combination of a hamburger patty, melted cheese, and toasted bread. But where did this iconic sandwich come from?
The patty melt is believed to have originated in Los Angeles in the 1940s. It’s said that this sandwich was created by the owner of a small diner, who wanted to combine two of his most popular menu items: hamburgers and grilled cheese sandwiches. To make the patty melt even more delicious, he added some caramelized onions and served it on rye bread.
The patty melt quickly became a popular menu item, and it soon spread to other small diners in the area. Over the years, the sandwich has evolved to include different types of cheese, breads, and toppings. Today, you can find patty melts all over the country, from classic diners to trendy restaurants.
If you’re looking to make a great patty melt in your own kitchen, here’s a recipe that’s sure to hit the spot.
Patty Melt Recipe Ingredients:
- 1 lb ground beef
- 8 slices rye bread
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional toppings: lettuce, tomato, pickles, ketchup, mustard
Kitchen Equipment Needed:
- Large skillet
- Cutting board
Patty Melt Cooking Instructions:
- Preheat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the ground beef, onion, garlic powder, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper to the skillet. Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the beef is cooked through.
- Toast the rye bread in a toaster or in the oven.
- Spread the butter onto one side of each piece of toast. Place the buttered side down on the skillet.
- Divide the beef mixture among the four pieces of toast, then top each with two slices of Swiss cheese. Cover the skillet and cook for about 5 minutes, until the cheese is melted.
- Serve the patty melts with your favorite toppings and garnishes.
For a spicier version of the patty melt, try adding a few dashes of hot sauce to the beef mixture while it’s cooking. You can also top the patty melts with jalapenos or top them with a spicy mayonnaise.
No matter how you top it, the patty melt is sure to be a hit. Enjoy!
Looking for other great sandwich recipes to make at home? It doesn’t get much easier than this BLAT recipe.