Caramelized onion dip has become a classic appetizer for many occasions, but it wasn’t always that way. The origins of this tasty dip are not known for certain, but it is believed that it first appeared in the early 2000s. The idea of caramelizing onions was not new, but this was the first time that someone had taken the idea and turned it into a dip. It quickly became a favorite among partygoers and quickly spread across the country.
In the years since its invention, caramelized onion dip has become a staple appetizer for get-togethers and special occasions. It’s the perfect snack to enjoy with friends and family, providing a delicious and savory flavor that is sure to please even the pickiest of guests.
Recipe for Making Caramelized Onion Dip at Home
Making caramelized onion dip at home is an easy and delicious appetizer. Here’s what you’ll need:
- 2 large sweet onions, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Kitchen Equipment Needed:
- A large skillet
- A wooden spoon
- A blender or food processor
- About 40 minutes
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the diced onions and sauté for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the butter and continue to cook for another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic powder, dried thyme, salt and pepper, and continue to cook for another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and allow the mixture to cool slightly.
- Transfer the mixture to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Serve the dip with crackers or sliced bread, or use it as a topping for burgers or nachos.
- Chopped fresh parsley
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Diced tomatoes
- Diced bell peppers
- Diced jalapeños
Adding Some Spice:
For a spicier dip, add a tablespoon of diced jalapeños or a teaspoon of cayenne pepper to the dip.
For a healthy version, enjoy this caramelized onion dip with your favorite vegetable sticks.
Need other app ideas? Find some easy recipes.