Mongolian beef is a popular Chinese dish that is said to have originated in the mid-20th century in Taiwan. The dish is inspired by the traditional Mongolian flavors and is made with beef, garlic, ginger, and a savory sauce.
The dish takes its name from the historical references to Genghis Khan and his Mongolian army. During his rule of the Chinese dynasty, Genghis Khan and his army ate beef with garlic and ginger as part of their daily diet. This combination of flavors is believed to have been passed down and eventually became the popular dish of Mongolian beef.
Mongolian beef has become a staple in Chinese restaurants across the world, and is also enjoyed at home. The dish is easy to make and has a delicious savory flavor. If you’re looking to make Mongolian beef at home, here’s a great recipe.
Mongolian Beef Ingredients:
• 1 lb flank steak, thinly sliced against the grain
• 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
• 4 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
• 2 tablespoons soy sauce
• 2 tablespoons rice wine
• 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
• 2 tablespoons brown sugar
• 1/4 cup vegetable broth
• 2 tablespoons cornstarch
Kitchen Tools Needed:
• Large skillet
• Measuring cups and spoons
• Chopping board and knife
• Wooden spoon
• 15 minutes
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the steak and cook for 2-3 minutes per side, until lightly browned.
- Add the garlic and ginger and cook for 1 minute.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, rice wine, hoisin sauce, brown sugar, vegetable broth and cornstarch.
- Pour the mixture into the skillet and stir to combine.
- Simmer for 3-4 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened.
- Serve over steamed rice and garnish with chopped green onions and sesame seeds.
• Chopped green onions
• Sesame seeds
• Toasted sesame oil
• Chili flakes
With this easy recipe, you can enjoy a delicious home-cooked meal of Mongolian beef. Enjoy!
Anything you add to this recipe? Let us know if you made any adjustments to the recipe and how it turned out. And, if you’re looking for other great Chinese dishes, give this General Tso Chicken a shot.